5 Best Theme Parks to Visit in India
There are dozens of theme and amusement parks in India. However, only a few of them are outstanding. Find out which ones are worth your money in this list of the top amusement parks in India. So now that you know what is the best Make the Most of it with your family & friends this Summer.
Ramoji Film City – Hyderabad, Telangana
Ramoji Film City is a huge film studio complex where thousands of Indian movies are filmed every year. If you’ve ever wanted to see how movie sets come to life, this is the place. It also has live shows, an eco zone (including a bonsai park and butterfly park), bird park, theme park with rides, adventure park, and entertainment park for the kids. Activities include All Terrain Vehicles, bungee jumping, zorbing, and paintball. Special celebrations are held during Dussehra and Diwali.
- Location: Near Hyderabad, in Telangana.
- Ticket Price: Starts from 1,000 rupees for adults and 900 rupees for children, for a general day sightseeing package. Special deals are available on hotels.
- Open: Daily, 9 a.m. until 5.30 p.m.
Essel World & Water Kingdom – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Essel World, established in 1999, was the first amusement park in India. Although it’s a bit dated these days, it is one of the largest in the country and has managed to remain a favorite. There are more than 30 rides, a Water Kingdom water park, bowling alley, ice skating rink, and Aquadrome dance floor. The highlight is the frightening new Monsters in the Mist dark ride, which is apparently the first of its kind in India. Special celebrations are held during Holi.
- Location: Gorai, in the outer northwest suburbs of Mumbai. It’s about 1.5 hours from the city center. Take a ferry from Marve Beach or Gorai Creek.
- Ticket Price: Combined ticket for Essel World and Water Kingdom costs 1,299 rupees for adults and 899 rupees for children.
- Open: Weekdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and until 8 p.m. on weekends and public holidays.
Kingdom of Dreams – Gurgaon, Haryana
Kingdom of Dreams, opened in 2010, is a huge live entertainment and leisure destination that brings together the carnival that is India. It encompasses both Indian culture and performing arts. The highlight is Culture Gully, elaborate art, crafts, and culinary boulevard — complete with street performers.Other features include a state-of-the-art auditorium (Nautanki Mahal) for live productions, and a multi-faceted theater space (Showshaa). Don’t miss seeing a live Bollywood musical!
- Location: Near IFFCO Chowk Metro Station, Sector 29, Gurgaon (Delhi).
- Ticket Price: Entry to Culture Gully is 599 rupees during the week and 699 rupees on weekends. The full amount is redeemable for food. Tickets for shows range in price from 1,099 rupees to 3,999 rupees, depending on the day and seat location. Packages, including accommodations, are available.
- Open: Tuesday to Sunday, 1 p.m. until 1 a.m.
Wonderla Kochi, Kochi Kerala
Lush and tropical Wonderla Kochi is set into the side of a hill, and has around 40 rides and attractions. The rides are classified into four types: Family, Water, Kiddies, and Hair Raising. Wonder Splash, a boat journey into a cave filled with mystery followed by a splash down into a crystal clear pool, is popular. There’s a 3D movie theater as well.
- Location: In Pallikkara, near Kochi in Kerala.
- Ticket Price: Adults 750 rupees weekdays, and 950 rupees on weekends and public holidays. Children 600 rupees weekdays, and 760 rupees on weekends and public holidays. Fast Track tickets are available at double the price.
Open: Monday to Friday 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. Saturday, Sunday, holiday and festival seasons 11 a.m. until 7 p.m.
Adlabs Imagica – Khopoli, Maharashtra
India’s big-budget, hi-tech Adlabs Imagica opened in 2013. Modeled on Universal Studios, it has more than 25 themed rides (including the country’s largest roller coaster and 4D stimulation rides) and five themed restaurants. The idea behind it is to enable escapism through fantasy and the bringing alive of stories. As part of the second and third phases of development, Aqua Magica Water Park opened in September 2014, followed by the opening of the five-star Novotel Imagica Khopoli hotel in September 2015. A Snow Park was launched in April 2016. This makes it a very attractive vacation option for families.
- Location: Khopoli, halfway Between Mumbai and Pune, just off the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
- Ticket Price: Tickets for the Theme Park cost 1,499 rupees for adults and children from Friday to Sunday and 1,299 rupees from Monday to Thursday. Tickets for the Water Park cost 999 rupees for adults and children from Friday to Sunday, and 899 rupees for adults and children from Monday to Thursday. This includes unlimited access to attractions. Discounts are available for senior citizens and college students. Express Tickets are also available at an extra cost. Tickets for the Snow Park cost 499 rupees for 45 minutes, or 399 as an add-on to tickets for the theme or water parks. Packages are offered, including transport in Volvo buses from Mumbai.
- Open: Daily, 11 a.m. until 7 p.m for rides. The park opens at 9.30 a.m. for breakfast.